Friday, March 27, 2009

what's happenin'?

after taking a week off after my surgery, i have returned to the 'working woman'. (even though i have only worked 3 days a week and only until 2:00 those days) ...can i say... it sucks! not to be ABLE to go back, but just to be back at work when there is soooo much at home that i have been made to neglect the past few months and now that it is SUPPOSE to be spring, i am getting the bug to spring clean and to go out and work in my yard. there are a few things that i really want to get done, but after work, i am totally exhausted.
then, after i got out of surgery the surgeon came in and asked if i was ever told that i snore. i immediately answered him by saying "no, but don does!" he 'politely' informed me that i needed to be checked for 'sleep apnea'. i would have been offended, but because when they were doing my surgery, i was not completely out of it, and would kind of float in and out of sleep, i DID wake myself up more than once snoring (how embarrassing!), i was hoping that those in the operating room were oblivious to it, but apparently NOT. so, tuesday night, i got to have a sleepover... at the sleep disorder center at timp hospital. i went in at 9:00 pm and by the time i was ready for bed, i had so many wires hooked to me, that i felt like the BIONIC woman. i took an ambien just before i went to bed, thinking that it would help me to sleep. i was right for about the first couple of hours. nothing could have wakened me. but then the 'cna' came bounding in my room and pulled a c-pap machine out of the cupboard and strapped it to my face. then she told me to make sure and take long, deep breaths. so the rest of the night i was busy concentrating on my breathing and trying to get comfortable in a bed that was like sleeping on a cement floor. i was never so happy to have 6:30 AM come! after de-tangling all the wires, i was finally able to go home, take an ambien and really sleep for a few hours. now i am waiting for the results, (knowing that i am going to be strapped to a c-pap machine the rest of my life). after years of complaining to the doc of fatigue, i think we have finally figured it out. between the hole in my heart and sleep apnea - questions answered! i'm hoping to have enough energy to be able to do all the things that i WANT to do AND continue to work. and, who knows... just maybe... i will get skinny! (yeah right!!)

1 comment:

Marci said...

you know our mom snores so bad that i could sneak out at night through the front door and she never heard me go.;) it must be in the genes....luckily that was one bad trait i didn't get, yet. btw i slept in a hotel room with you a few years ago and i could've told you that you snored way back then.;D love ya sis.