Wednesday, January 21, 2009

my hero !

this man is one amazing person!, whom i love with all my heart! he is my father-in-law. he has at this time 93 decendants and has a love for each one of them (how many people can say that about their in-laws?) i have been in the family for 35 years now and he has always treated me like his daughter. i don't think i've ever heard him talk bad about anyone (well maybe, one time, when he got sent home from work for throwing his hard hat at his boss). he is 85 years old and has been in a wheel chair with ~ primary lateral sclerosis for over 10, maybe 15 years and i have never ever heard him complain. i even asked my mil, before she passed away, if he ever complained to her and she said "no". he use to be a big tease, and when we would tease him back, he would take his glasses off, like no one could see him, if he couldn't see anyone. now he just sits back and watches. he loves his family and especially his grandkids.
he can't hardly even feed himself anymore. some one comes in and bathes him and gets him dressed every day and then after he drinks his 'slimfast' (his breakfast of choice), he leans back in his 'jazzy' and listens to western music all day.
one sunday, a long time ago... i had just had surgery on my neck. don took the kids and went to church. i woke up and there he was sitting on a chair in my room, just watching me. he said that he didn't want me to be alone. yesterday, i get a call from lacey (who takes care of grandpa) and she said that grandpa wanted to talk to me. which was quite a surprise, because he doesn't do much talking anymore. he just wanted to know if i was ok, and to let me know he was thinking about me. ~how sweet is that?~
his sweetheart passed away in july and i know that he misses her terribly. one thing that attracted me to don, was the way his father treated his mother. he loved her and i we could all tell. ohhhh... he wasn't perfect and i remember mom getting really, really, mad at him at times, but he always treated her well and we always felt the spirit in their home. dad... i love you and will be ever so grateful to you for the way you have always treated me.

3 comments:

Lyndsey said...

You are right he is an amazing guy, we are all so lucky to have him.

Marci said...

what a sweet, good man. i'm so glad that you got him..you needed and deserved a good sweet dad of sorts.

Anonymous said...

Well you and Don have definately followed in their shoes. I too am one of the many people that can honestly say that I love my in-laws. you guys have always treated me as if I were your own daughter. (From day 1). I thank you for that.
We sure are lucky to have grandpa here with us though. He's a great man. I love that when you are around him that you know (just because you can feel it) that he enjoys your presence.