Tuesday, January 13, 2009

my scarry day...

this is kind of a long story, so you can just skip thru it if you don't want to read it all. i'm writing more for myself to remember, than for anyone else.
last tuesday morning (jan 6), about 6:40, i jumped out of bed, because cheyne had slept here - which he NEVER does - and he hadn't gotten up yet. i went into the spare bedroom to get him up and of course, he is not an easy person to get out of bed in the morning - i don't know how he does it at his house. any way, he asked me how much it had snowed the night before - just to put me off a few more minutes before getting out of bed (i'm sure!). i started down the hall and i don't know how far i really got, but he heard me knock into the wall. he jumped out of bed and started down the hall. i came back into the room and he said that he could tell something was wrong. i was woozy and thought that maybe i just had a head rush. he grabbed my hand and started yelling at me. i could hear him, but i couldn't answer him. he yelled "mom if you need help, squeeze my hand!". i started to squeeze and he immediately got on his phone and called 911. i could hear him talking, and i was thinking, i don't need 911, i just need to sit on the edge of the bed for a few minutes. i guess he carried me down the hall, so that he could open the front door for the paramedics. he also called haley. then he called dr cosgrave and told him what was going on. (he was here before they had me loaded into the ambulance). they couldn't get a hold of don - who had gone to work about 6:15. When they finally got a hold of him, dr cosgrave and cheyne were following the ambulance down to the hospital. as they approached the hospital, i could hear the EMT saying that they were going to by-pass the american fork hospital and go straight to utah valley hospital because they were dealing with a "STROKE" victim. i kept fading in and out, but i DID hear that. when we got to utah valley hospital which took a little more time than usual because of the snow storm we had been having all night, cheyne had also called one of the counselors that had been in the bishopric with don, who got there right after the ambulance. he is the head of the rehab department at utah valley. once don got there, they gave me a blessing and hauled me in for more testing, MRI's, UTS, etc. dr cosgrave doesn't have privileges at the valley, but he was there with all of my history etc. he called his nurse and had her reschedule his whole morning. dr hilmo (the counselor in don's bishopric) was also right there making sure everything was goin alright. the best was when he came in and confirmed that ' I AM NOT PREGNANT! whew... was worried about that one!
it only took a few hours to get my right side working again. but it took a few days to get everything right again. i still have a little trouble now and then with word associations. and... once again, MIRACLES hit the HUNTER family! it IS a miracle that things panned out just the way they did. they determined that i did have a stroke in the left side of the brain. my blood pressure and everything else was good. i have to go in for another CT scan on wednesday and have my blood tested a couple of times a week for a few weeks, because they put me on a blood thinner. then in about 6 weeks, they are going to go in and do a procedure to close a whole in my heart (that no one knew I had) which they think may take care of the headaches i've had for the past 45 years. (maybe blessings in disguise!)
i came home from the hospital thursday afternoon and feel like a REAL BIMBO! because everyone is bringing all this food and all these beautiful flowers in. and... I "REALLY" CAN do all this stuff by myself! haley was even here taking my christmas down, making soup bowls, soup, and home made bread, when we got home from the hospital.
everyone is shocked when they ring the doorbell and i answer the door! but I DO feel GREAT!
thank you everyone... for all the prayers, and support of my family during this time. and especially to my family... you are the BEST!

6 comments:

Marci said...

oh big sister...so glad that it worked out the way it did. love ya! that pinky swear thing was way too funny.:)

Nikki Winters said...

Jacki, Shawn and I are thinking about you and your Fam. We are so releaved you are doing great. Good Luck with the heart surgery. Take Care! Let us know if there is anything we can do for you. Shawn and Nikki Winters:)

Lyndsey said...

Oh my gosh I just found out, that is way scary I am so glad that you are all right and back to normal, Greg and I are thinking about you and if you need anything at all please let me know.

Unknown said...

Jacki,
We are sooooo glad that everything is OK! What a scary thing that you had to go through, you are my our prayers.

jake

marie said...

I'm so glad that you're O.K. Now don't do it again-you scared us! Think of how many people you've blessed by letting tham serve you:) who cares if you can do stuff yourself, enjoy the break from cooking! Good luck with the surgery and I'll see ya in Feb. for the baby blessing!

Rosemans said...

We are glad to hear you are doing Ok. We are thinking about you and your family. Barbara Roseman.