Sunday, May 11, 2008

mother's day

i loved elder m. russell ballard's talk given in general conference last month titled "daughters of god". one of the comments he made was that " there is no role in life more essential and more eternal than that of motherhood".

david o. mckay once said "the noblest calling in the world is that of mother. true motherhood is the most beautiful of all arts, the greatest of all professions. she who can paint a masterpiece or who can write a book that will influence millions deserves the plaudits and admiration of mankind; but she who rears successfully a family of healthy, beautiful sons and daughters whose immortal souls will be exerting an influence throughout the ages long after paintings shall have faded, and books and statues shall have been destroyed,deserves the highest honor that man can give."

all my life i wanted to be "just a mom". when i was 19 years old, all of the sudden i had someone else to care for, 24/7. someone that i loved more than myself. someone that i would do anything, including giving my life for. heavenly father blessed me with a precious little girl and trusted her to be in my care, to teach her and help her to return again to him, someday. (boy! did i have alot to learn!) i didn't think i could love anyone or anything anymore than i loved my little melanie. two years later, chet came along and i learned quickly that i had enough love for both of them. what a great responsibility, two of heavenly father's children entrusted to my care. when chet was 2 years old, we were blessed with little haley anne, the apple of our eyes. melanie and chet were so excited and somehow knew that heavenly father was going to send them a little sister to look over, love and care for. now, i was blessed with even more love to give. it's funny, how you think that you only have so much love to give, but as these sweet little spirits enter our lives, you love them all the same and heavenly father gives us enough love to go around again and again. cheyne came four years later, and now i had four of our heavenly father's children that i was responsible for. oh how i loved each of them! and felt sooo honored that my heavenly father loved me and trusted me enough to bless our home with four special little spirits.
discovering that with every child, your heart grows bigger and stronger - that there is no limit to how much or how many people you can love, even though at times you feel as though you could burst - you don't - you just love even more.- yasmin le boni

to know that i needed to teach them and be a good example to them. always! that i am responsible to help them return to their heavenly father! wow! how overwhelming! when i think of how i worried every time i left any of them for even an hour or two, and with people i love and trusted, it makes me think how heavenly father must feel each time he sends one of his children to this earth, trusting that those he sends them to, are going to teach them the things they need to know to get back to him someday. it makes me feel a sense of inadequacy.

i look at my children now, and they are all grown up, three of them married to wonderful spouses. what happened to time? sometimes, i think that somehow time slipped past me and i missed out on some of the most important things in their lives. if i could do it again, i hope that i would take a little more time to enjoy the moment. spend a little more time reading to them, playing with them, letting them help me with whatever i was doing, instead of always thinking that my house had to be cleaned, the wash needed to be done and everything had to be in perfect order, before i could take time to enjoy anything. in my wise old age, i've learned that the house always needs to be cleaned, the wash is never done and no matter how hard you try to make things perfect, they just aren't!
a hundred years from now... it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house i lived in, or the kind of car I drove... but the world may be different because i was important in the life of a child.- kathy davis

now heavenly father has blessed our family with 5 more of his choice spirits (with another one coming in october). it's a good thing that love isn't weight, or i would never have any clothes that fit!
now that I've reached the age, or maybe the stage, where I need my children more than they need me, I really understand how grand it is to be a grandmother.- mrs margaret whitlam

i am grateful to my heavenly father for trusting me enough to let me be a mother to four of his choicest spirits! i love them all and love being their mother. hopefully they will forgive me for my shortcomings , for my impatience, and for the things i should have, but didn't teach them.. i know i wasn't the perfect mom, but i hope each of them know that no matter what, i wouldn't trade anything in the world for the years i had them in my care and for what they have taught me over the years! melanie, chet, haley and cheyne, you are my life and i will always love you!

2 comments:

haley said...

love you too mom!

Marci said...

they are lucky to have you for their mom...you have been and are a great mom! you are one of my hero's because you are a great mom and you've always been proud to be a mom.